Home Improvement Gift Card Giveaway for National Preparedness Month
• Did you know that September is National Preparedness Month?
• With Hurricane Isaac nearby, and only one year since Hurricane Irene, we are reminded emergencies can happen anytime
• OEM (Office of Emergency Management) is urging New York residents to sign up for Notify NYC, the City’s official emergency notification system. Subscribers receive text messages, e-mails, phone calls or Tweets about significant citywide events, as well as smaller events happening in their own neighborhoods. These notifications cover topics such as severe weather, school closures, subway disruptions, and traffic advisories in all areas of the city.
• Anyone can sign up and customize the alerts they would like to receive by visiting nyc.gov/notifynyc or following @ Notify NYC
• To learn more about Notify NYC and OEM, please check us out on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @ Notify NYC, or visit nyc.gov/oem.
Are you prepared? I thought I was last year for Hurricane Irene. I have a ground level apartment so I decided to move some of my belonging to higher ground all the counters were covered with drawers from dressers just in case water came in. I am so glad that we knew that the storm would be bad and to take action. We braved the storm but when the power when out that is when I got nervous, that meant the sump pump wouldn’t be working and before we knew it I had about 6 inches of water in my apartment.
I had thought I planned for the worst, but there is always something to think of in these “what if” scenarios. No major damage, the power went back on. We cleaned out all the water and everything was back to normal. I am glad to have now signed up for all the notifications to keep me in the loop of what is happening in NYC. If the power goes out there is still a way to get notified via text messages or if you have internet access on your phone you can get e-mails.
Spread the word to fellow New Yorkers to get notified by the OEM. Time is of the essence and being prepared is key.
One lucky Raising Three Savvy Ladies reader will win:
• One $50 Gift Card to a National Home Improvement Store, for purchasing home preparedness supplies