Excessive heat, thunderstorms and crazy weather are upon us. As the 2012 hurricane season begins, it is time to get prepared with resources to prepare your family before a major storm hits.
Last year, Hurricane Irene made the tristate area realize that we, too, need to be prepared. When the power went out in our house, water began to enter the basement. Having extra batteries and hand cranked radio helped us weather the storm.
One way to prepare is to check out the New York Office of Emergency Management’s (OEM)’s guide, Ready New York: Hurricanes and New York City. Contrary to popular belief among New Yorkers, tropical storms and hurricanes can and do impact the City. The guide includes general tips on how to prepare for any emergency, instructions on how to develop a hurricane disaster plan and secure your home, and a map of New York City hurricane evacuation zones.
While New York is most at risk for tropical storms and hurricanes from August to October, the City plans and prepares year-round for coastal storms. OEM encourages residents to take three key steps to prepare for hurricane season:
- Determine whether you live in an evacuation zone – Areas of the city subject to storm surge flooding are divided into three zones based on how storms of different strengths will affect them. Residents in these zones may need to evacuate depending on the hurricane’s track and projected storm surge.
- Gather Supplies – Pack a Go Bag (a collection of things you would want if you have to leave in a hurry) and put together an emergency supply kit, with items including bottled water, non-perishable food, a flashlight, and extra batteries.
- Get Notified – Sign up to receive emergency updates and information online and via e-mail, text, or phone through the City’s Notify NYC program at www.nyc.gov/notifynyc.
Thanks to the Ad Council and OEM, Raising Three Savvy Ladies has a Ready New York Go Bag prize pack for 1 lucky reader.
Prize pack includes: Go Bag, pocket radio, flashlight, first aid kit, batteries, worker’s gloves, light sticks, emergency blankets, and more!
- The giveaway is open to US Residents only.
- · I was not compensated for this post. I did receive a Go Bag from the Ad Council and OEM.