When I think of the holidays, I think lots of lots of good times and memories at home. Seeing family and friends, smelling delicious aromas of home cooked meals and listening to familiar songs evoke memories of past events that make you want to bring everyone together again.
While at Momtrends Holiday Entertaining event at glassbaby, I learned lots of fab ideas for entertaining at home.
Louise Phillips Forbes from Halstead Property is a working mom just like me. She reminded us that in order to entertain at home, we need to let go of control.
Number 1 Rule – Let everyone have a role and be involved. Make it fun for kids.
- Have the kids build a fort and put on an IPad movie.
- Let them be in charge of votive candles. Line staircases with battery operated candles.
- Let them roll napkins with cutlery.
- Have them create labels for the dishes being served.
- Let kids select music.
- Have your husband be in charge of cocktails.
- Make margaritas ahead of time and freeze week before get together.
Hot toddy drinks have made a new resurgence. Citrus is out and vinegars in drinks are in. Try apple cider vinegar instead of lemon.
Serve in a punchbowl. Everyone will pour their own drinks, gather around and mingle. Garnish with edible flowers.
- Drunk Donuts – use a turkey baster & inject the with coffee liquor
- Creme brûlée a donut – creates a yummy hard candy crust
- Make homeade condiments such as mustard – it can become a conversation starter
- Hay is not just for horses – wrap mozzarella
- Gourmet bar snacks such as popcorn butter and truffle oil
- Quiches – back from the 80s
- Pretzel & spetzel
- German food – varied cuisine from different regions
The fun filled evening was held at glassybaby. Amy, the manager of the store explained that glassybaby is a Seattle based company. Founder, Lea Rhodes is breast cancer survivor with a mission to give back to charities. There are 400 different colors of votives. They have three layers of glass and will last a lifetime.