Hurricane Irene has been front and center on the news for the last few days and my two oldest are concerned. I offer some tips on what we are doing to prevent anxious feelings. Keep in mind that I am not in an evacuation zone. I do have a go bag packed because I packed way too much for Hershey Park and haven’t unpacked. lol These activities are just to occupy my girls because they are concerned about the weather.
1. Turn the TV off. In times of crazy weather, I tend to be a weather buff and want to watch all the latest news. Irene is so publicized that Middle Savvy says she wants Irene to go back to “heaven” and leave everyone alone. We have turned it off for awhile.
Instead, I signed up for alerts with Notify NYC so if something happens, they will call, text and email the news. You can choose how you want to be notified.
2. Always have something NEW such as toys or DVDs hiding. This way, in times when you have to stay indoors for a long time, you have some new entertainment to keep them preoccupied.
3. Be honest. Kids have questions. I tried to turn it into some research, that’s the teacher in me. Discovery Channel had some videos that I shared with my oldest. FEMA has interactive info for kids too.
4. Host a Spa for kids. Later this evening, my two oldest savvies will be treated to a mini spa. Foot scrub and polish too ease wandering concerned little minds.
5. Have a fashion show. After watching a news report about “evacuistas” we put a little show on to keep preoccupied.
I bought Baby Savvy’s boots on clearance at Lord and Taylor for less than $5. Love it!