Traveling as a family can be a challenge for us. We do go on trip but there are times when we are not all together. When we visit family in North Carolina, my husband is usually not able to join us. He works in the restaurant business and it can be a challenge to take time off.
Earlier this summer, we took an overnight to a local resort in New Jersey. Just spending the two days together as a family of 5 made me realize that we need to do this more often.
One night away and I wanted more, or should I say needed more time together.
Throughout the year, we have work, school, sports, dance, gymnastics, homework, projects, playdates, birthday parties, camp and family events. All in all, I enjoy being able to take my girls to events like this but I also need time for our family of 5.
- Memories – Just spending the two days together created lots of laughs and good times. There were no distractions and we enjoyed the pool and even some time in the arcade together.
- Pictures – There has been a lot of talk about getting in the photo with our children. I agree. But, I have noticed that I do not have many family of 5 pictures. I have joined the photo or my husband has but then we are only 4. Travel is a great time to get those photos to document your time together as a family.
- Real life connections – I remember hating geography in school. I didn’t understand it or feel that I had any connections to it. When I went away to college and my father drove me upstate, all of a sudden it all began to click how it worked. My father and I started talking about the routes and the best options for getting to our destination. It is my hope that by having discussions about where we are traveling that at an earlier age than I did, they begin to see where we are in this big world.
- Relax and Unwind – We all have busy schedules including children. Travel allows us to experience a new place and at the same time, relax and enjoy it. I want to see as much as I can with my family, but I also know that running from place to place can lead to many cranky moments. So travel allows us the opportunity to relax and connect with each other.
- Would it be fair to say that travel also allows us the time to spend together as a family of 5? By planning to go to a destination, everyone needs to clear there schedule and be ready to go. We need to be available to each other. When home, schedules can change, other events can pull us in different directions and it can be a challenge to be a family unit. So by planning ahead, I know that we are going to create some lasting memories before we start the new school year.
I am sad to let you know it was a challenge to find photos of the 5 of us together. I even got my sister involved because I was getting upset.
Before summer ends and school starts, we are headed to the #FamilyForward conference
We will be staying at the Loews Royal Pacific Resort and cannot wait to take pictures of our family of 5 enjoying every minute of it!